Friday, May 20, 2011

Day 109: Everything Bad Happens to Dad

As a missionary, I remember getting weekly letters from Dad. I'm pretty sure that Dad has about 12 plus years of weekly letters to missionaries. That is impressive.

My trainer, Sister Cassens, was a convert to the church and didn't get much mail from home, so I indulged her by reading these weekly letters aloud. It was always fun to hear the news and catch up on what was going on, but there was a special segment that we always looked forward to reading. The segment was titled: Everything Bad Happens to Dad.

My favorite story was the time that Dad went to help make the bed. In an attempt to be dramatic, he threw the feder Decke up in the air to fluff it up. What he didn't realize, was that it caught on the chandelier and so when he brought it down with his dramatic flair, he also brought down the chandelier.

This section included spilling things in the car like linseed oil, pickle juice, or gasoline. It included hammered fingers, car accidents, lost items, etc. By the way,I think I'm cursed for writing this post because it has erased the second half of my post for the 3rd time in a row. Sad. Everything bad happens to Maggie.

I am always impressed, however, by Dad's optimism. He has such a good attitude, and whether

2 comments:

  1. Blogger is being wacky. Here is the rest of my post:

    I am always impressed, however, by Dad's optimism. He has such a good attitude, and whether the "good ideas that should have worked" are his own or others' he is so loving and forgiving to himself and those around him. In fact, I think that it is because of Dad that I can stop in the middle of a bad situation and remind myself "this will be funny someday" or "we need a picture of this disaster". We love you, Dad. This quote reminds me of you.

    "Cultivate an attitude of happiness. Cultivate a spirit of optimism. Walk with faith, rejoicing in the beauties of nature, in the goodness of those you love, in the testimony which you carry in your heart concerning things divine."

    --Gordon B. Hinckley, "The Spirit of Optimism", New Era July 2001, 4

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Neil is the ultimate optimist, something he must have learned (or have been FORCED to learn) because of having me for a sister.

    ReplyDelete