Friday, May 27, 2011

Day 116: Travellin Man Part 2

Dad is a spontaneous traveler. Due to the nature of media trips and his advertising with Morris Travel, he had a standing deal with them to notify him if there were any flights with lots of available seats. If dad could fill them, they would sell the tickets at a deep discount.

This led to a few really exciting surprise trips. One that stands out is our trip to Puerta Vallarta when I was in jr. high. I got home from school in the afternoon, and walked into my dad's office. "How would you like to go to Mexico tomorrow?" he asked. At first I was excited, and then my heart sank. I was in a school performance and would miss the important rehearsals. "Just call the faculty advisor" he said. "I'm sure she'll understand."

Well she didn't understand. I got an earful about responsibility this and commitment that. I can't really remember because I was thinking more about what I would need to pack for Mexico!

Even though one day's notice sounds spontaneous, I've actually been given even shorter notice than that. When I was in fourth grade, I got home from school one day and as was my routine, ambled into the office to see what Gary, Duane, Pat and my Dad were up to. Gary was gone for the day, but Dad looked up from his desk. Our conversation went something like this:

Dad: How would you like to run an errand with me?

Me: Sure. What is it?

Dad: One of my clients knows an airplane pilot, and he think he could take us up to fly in a circle around Salt Lake, to see the city from the air. Would you like that?

Me: [incredulous]. Uhh, yeah!

Dad: When we get there, I'll need to just go talk to my client. I didn't tell him you were coming, so I just need to go make sure it's alright.

When we got to the airport, dad sat me down on one of the chairs with a TV built in. He started up an episode of Cheers, and headed off to his "meeting." About 30 mins later, he showed up and said "He says that should be fine. There are lots of people going, but you'll still get a seat by the window to see the city."

As far as I remember, this was my first time on an airplane. I was so excited and super distracted by all the things that I didn't hear a word the pilot said. When we took off, we flew straight out north over the lake, then turned 180 to head south, straight down the middle of the valley. Dad showed me our house, the parks nearby, the mountains, then soon we passed Utah Lake and the BYU campus. I started getting worried. "Dad, you should tell him he's going a little too far. We need to be back for dinner."

"OK." Dad said. "I'll let him know."

A few moments later when the captain came back over the speaker he said something like "We'll be arriving in Los Angeles in just over an hour…"

Man, I lost it. "What?! Dad, he said we're flying to Los Angeles. I think we got on the wrong plane! How do we get off this thing?!!? I can't go to Los Angeles. Mom will be so worried! We didn't pack any bags!"

Dad just chuckled and explained that mom knew about this plan and had already packed my clothes. We were going on a special trip, just the two of us. We went to Disneyland (where I got lost… shocking), an Angels game, and I loved every minute of it. Best surprise ever.

Another favorite trip with dad was a quick trip to Hawaii before my mission. Dad and I visited the big island, swam with sea turtles, flew in a helicopter over the volcano, and cruised around the island in a sport red convertible. Dad, that was a great tradition that I hope I can carry on with my own children. I guess I'd better start saving my money.

1 comment:

  1. I was so jealous of you. Worst day ever. Until we went to Disneyland as a family...and I won that Walkman for being the 6,000th person through the gate that day. Sweet redemption.

    P.S. Did dad really leave you alone watching Cheers for half an hour? (While reading your post, I kept hearing the words, "Please do not leave baggage (or children) unattended.")

    ReplyDelete