Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Day 100: Neil the Great

If there is something about Neil I absolutely love, it is the love he shows for his children, and even the new in-laws that come into the family.
Lake Michigan-Fall 2009—John and Neil

When I was dating Johnny we went up to the Brighton cabin for dinner. I didn't know Neil or the family very well at all (except Maggie and Mary a bit.) Johnny told me he had a song that he'd written for me on his guitar, and he brought me out to the deck so he could sing it to me out there. You know...a serenade of sorts. It was a sweet, quiet moment for the two of us. Romantic I dare say. When during the song, Neil surprised me with with his presence, when he came over and sat down right next to me!

Yikes!  Johnny change the lyrics of your love for me...we've only been dating for a little bit of time, and your father is here and listening!!! I was so embarrassed. But then again I wouldn't trade it for a minute. That is just who Neil is, and he likes to be a part of his family and their lives. I learned that that night, and many other times watching him interact with his children. There is a special bond of love that Neil shares with his children. They know it, and they feel it too.
How special that he loves to be involved in their lives. 
Fall 2009-Brookfield Zoo John, Sisi, Kai, Ruth Ann, Neil and Krista

Neil has this unwavering acceptance that he shares. I feel it. It's almost as if I could do no wrong because I chose a great son of his. I am a lucky girl.

Neil also loves birds. He knows many of their names, and I love the family bird call, although, sometimes I have a weak whistle and it is non-effective when I really need it! I should bring my little stuffed chick-a-dee bird Neil gave me every where I go.
 Before Neil left Chicago, he bought me these Sunflowers, just because he knew I would like them.
Really is there anyone sweeter than Neil?

1 comment:

  1. I love how Dad sidles in to listen too. I used to sit out on our front patio or back deck with boys and he would sometimes randomly show up to listen and visit. As a teenager it sometimes drove me nuts, but he knew all of my friends well and they all liked and respected him too. He loves to be part of those special moments and I'm so glad!

    ReplyDelete