Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Day 93: The bedtime songs

Last night as we lingered over dinner, Bea sat by the window, watching the robins playing in our yard. Soon I noticed she was quietly singing, "Where are you going, pretty bird?" It made me so happy to hear her sweet little voice and to know she has internalized the words and tune of this beloved goodnight song. We all know the songs and each have our favorite. I remember always choosing "God Sees the Little Sparrow Fall". Jim would choose "Lilly Marlene" and Joseph chose "Johnny Verbeck". I love that our children know these songs now and will most likely pass them on. What a wonderful legacy for Nanny to pass to Dad and for him to share with us.

The other night Eloise asked me to sing her a song and I tried for something new. The first song that came to mind was "I dreamed a dream" (I had just been talking about Les Mis with Mary). As I soared my way through "And they turn your dreams to Sha-ayy-ayy-ayy--ame!", Eloise started to laugh and said, "Can't you sing a real good night song, Mom?" There is something comforting about sitting in the dark, singing a special song with your child and remembering how it feels to be nurtured and protected by your own parents.


3 comments:

  1. adorable, little bea! I love that you sang les mis to your girls. i think i'm on day 622 of singing "once upon a dream" from sleeping beauty to tillie. oi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Flori, I wish you had posted a video of you singing I dreamed a dream. I bet it would blow Susan Boyle away!

    Not to nitpick here, but I thought Jim's song was Pigeon Doors, mine was Lily Marlene and John's was Johnny Verbeck... but maybe we just traded around.

    When Caroline was two I caught her singing Pretty Bird. What's in the nest pretty bird? 4 little legs.

    Hmmm. I guess I need to annunciate better when I sing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Little legs...that makes me LOL Joe. I agree with your persnicketiness. Thanks for sticking up for me.

    Also, I have to confess, I don't know any of the words to "where are you going little bird?" Maybe dad thought Jason Healy was me.

    ReplyDelete