Monday, May 9, 2011

Day 98: The patience of Job

Even though Dad is impulsive and acts quickly once his mind is made up, I have always been grateful for his qualities of patience and long-suffering. In my own life, he was always patient with me and took time to listen to my concerns, petty though they may have been. Two instances of super patience stand out in my mind.

1) teaching me to drive a stick shift in the VW Dasher. Dad and Grandpa LeBaron took me to the Rosecrest ward parking lot and MADE me practice (for what seemed like hours) gunning up the steep hill that linked the lower and upper parking lots. I remember a lot of tears on my part and probably some threats of never talking to either of them again. Somehow Dad kept his cool and continued to work patiently with me until I learned a skill that would serve me well all my life.

2)One day in BYU Fitness for Life, the teacher passed around little baggies full of shortening. Each one represented the amount of fat found in common fast food items. It was really disgusting, especially the Kentucky Fried Chicken fat portions. That same week, Mom and Dad came down to Provo and offered to take me out to lunch. I must have felt stressed out and hormonal, because as soon as Dad suggested KFC, I burst into tears. "No! I'm never eating at KFC again!!" "Okay," Dad replied. "How about a burger?" "No!" I cried hysterically. "NO burgers!" And so it went. I don't remember where or what we ended up eating, but I do remember Dad patiently driving around Provo, trying to find a lunch idea that wouldn't push me over the edge.

Besides my personal experiences, I have observed Dad's patience in his dealings with other family members, ward members, neighbors, and clients. He is a great example of giving others the benefit of the doubt and keeping words kind. He is not only patient with others, but patient with himself and the Lord too.

5 comments:

  1. Oh man. KFC sounds SO good right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you know what sounds REALLY good? The double down from KFC. It's like a BLT with fried chicken instead of bread. You can check out a picture of it on this post, along with one of the most beautiful pictures I've ever seen. Hickory smoked italian sausage stuffed with bacon, wrapped in bacon. Bacon!

    http://highlandersx.wordpress.com/2011/03/30/a-bacon-lovers-dream-day-how-to-have-a-heart-attack/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sicko. I'm going to bring you a ziploc bag of Crisco instead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This makes me wish I was going to work at Crisco instead of Cisco (or SYSCO for that matter).

    I bet their slip'n slides at company BBQ's are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I heard Crisco is very greasious to their employees.

    ReplyDelete