Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Day 120: Why Do You Love Us?

Well, Dad, I really didn't think we'd make it to 120 posts by your birthday, but, here we are.

Much has been written about your love for all of us...and our love for you.

For the past three years, I've been editing the only full-feature documentary of our family in existence...the Church History Tour of Summer 1994. Painstaking hours have been spent digging through old footage, converting outdated tape formats, and supplementing memories of the ultimate LeBaron vacation with stirring musical selections from the likes of Afterglow, BYU Men's Chorus, and MoTab.

To my dismay (sort of), about half way through my editing, I realized that the real value of the video wasn't going to be in capturing the myriad paintings, sculptures, and other pioneer relics that had eaten up hours of tape and battery on our video camera over a two-week period. No one would care about the candle-wicking demonstrations, step-by-step wagon wheel reparations, or extensive silverware collections. Truth be told, we would all rather see our family! Our interactions. Our jokes. Our harassment. Our memories.

The "Best of" video will ultimately be released (maybe for your 61st B-day, Dad?), but, I thought it prudent to at least add a few teaser screenshots. It's sad, but, when I look at the video, I think to myself, how could Dad love us so much? I mean, look at us!!!

As I was reflecting on that question, the scripture 1 John 4:19 came to my mind: "We love him, because he first loved us." We love you, Dad. Thank you for first loving us first. For always loving us first. Before possessions, privilege, power, or person. We will always love you.

Love,

You children, your wife, your grandchildren, and the many, many more to come.
























4 comments:

  1. Wow. If those are the highlights, it looks like we've got a frightening experience ahead of us (or behind us, as it were). Sweet photo captures. I remember that trip so well and many others!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I counted 2, possible 3 different tank tops I wore on that trip. Also, we may have some horse ancestry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You teased this video 5 years ago. You can't hold out on us any longer.

    ReplyDelete