Saturday, May 21, 2011

Day 110: The game of Chess

Dad taught me to play chess. He would let me choose any three pieces to take off of his side and we would play. As I learned to play a little better the number decreased to two and then to one and finally we each played with a full set of pieces. Dad told me that if I could beat him three times in a row that he would give me twenty dollars. This was all the motivation that I needed and soon had dad playing chess with me quite often in an attempt to win twenty dollars. It took a long time and many many games but I finally beat him three times in a row and got the twenty dollars. As a kid I thought that the real prize in this was the twenty dollars. Now that I'm older I realize the real value wasn't in the twenty dollars but rather in the time that I was able to spend with Dad and in learning a skill that would help me in life. No, playing a game isn't the skill, but playing chess requires a lot of thought and analytical skills that I use now.
Thanks for taking the time to play and teach and for knowing how to motivate me.

2 comments:

  1. Sweet post Jim. I've been thinking a lot about my strategic skills lately. Coming out of business school, Corporate Strategy jobs are some of the most sought-after (and highest paying) jobs in the market.

    I've decided that I'm not really a great strategic thinker. Both you and Bob are great strategic thinkers and I can't help but think that your love for games (online and board) has a lot to do with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just telling my neighbor how we used to get $20 if we didn't have any cavities. Our parents learned early on that money was a better motivator than "strategic thinking skills" or "good oral hygiene"!

    ReplyDelete