Monday, May 23, 2011

Day 112: The Trade King

Early on in our advertising career, the lure of trade opened its jaws and drew us in with many happy and outrageous opportunities. One of the very first personal trades we made was for the play chalet. I was driving down Highland Dr. one day and saw a play chalet in a vacant lot close to 33rd South. I encouraged Dad to call the advertised phone number and pretty soon Dad had a new client and we had a play chalet. I saw my first microwave oven that was about the size of a standard oven in a foods class in college. I was so mesmerized by its capabilities, that I vowed one day to own one. Imagine my surprise when just a few years later I saw the new improved counter top version (still about twice as big as what all of you own). Happy Day—they carried them at Sterling Furniture and we had another trade client.
Dad very easily understood the concept of trade and what it could do for our family – piano lessons, Maverik bucks, trips to Europe, McPhies, mattresses, antiques, etc. Although it has often led to conspicuous consumption, it has been a lot of fun and source of many a family outing over the years. The great thing is that Dad has just become smarter and smarter about trade and I really admire the convoluted way his mind works when presented with a tricky 8-way trade. Neil, your mind is amazing and your generosity with your talent and gift of insight is legendary! One of these days, we know you’ll figure out the ultimate vacation for all 38 or maybe 50 by then of us. When it comes right down to it, we wouldn’t trade you for the world.

1 comment:

  1. Clever mama! We have all enjoyed the bounties of Dad's 'trade school' skills!

    ReplyDelete