Friday, February 11, 2011

Day 11: Recipe Exchange—Fish Tacos

I'm proud to admit that most of my best recipes come from mom. Hers are the ones I trust the most, the ones that always impress, always turn out right, and always get requested from friends. In fact, my hand-selected book of recipes is one of the things I would grab if I had to leave quickly. So it makes me laugh when Mom requests a recipe from me, because it's usually one she gave me in the first place. For instance, last time she visited, we were going to make fish tacos. "Do you have a good recipe?" she asked. "You'll have to send it to me!"

I DO have a good recipe and of course it came from her. It has been passed along to many others and shared with several friends, all to rave reviews. In fact, we went out for Fish Tacos with some friends last weekend, and I came home confident that this recipe is way better than any restaurant. (Sadly, I'm finding that a lot lately. See how good cooking ruins you?)


Ruthie's Baja Fish Tacos

1 lb Fish - either halibut or tilapia, cut into strips or chunks**
oil for frying( about 1/2 in. in frying pan)
3/4 c. cornmeal mix or panko crumbs
1 t. salt
1/2 t. paprika
1/4 t. cayenne pepper
1 egg
1 c. water
Combine cornmeal mix and spices in a bowl for dredging the fish.
Beat together the water and egg. Dip fish pieces in the egg wash and then roll in cornmeal mix.
Fry about 3 min. each side. Drain on paper towel.

**I bread the fish as directed and then place on a broiler pan and brush fish lightly with olive oil. Then I broil it for a few minutes until it flakes easily. It's equally tasty and much lower fat.

Tomatillo dressing
1/2 c. mayonnaise
1/2 c. sour cream
6 tomatillos ( husked stemmed and rinsed and finely diced)
1/4 small red onion
1/2 c. chopped fresh cilantro
juice of 1/2 lime
1/2 to 1 finely minced jalapeno pepper
salt and freshly cracked pepper to taste

Food process or blend ingredients of dressing and chill before serving. **This dressing is also awesome on taco salads.

Serve with chopped cabbage, tomatoes, avocado, and salsa.

5 comments:

  1. Oh. How I love fish tacos. Please oh please next time you're out here let's make them and I'll send Carrie off to Cafe Rio. She doesn't like anything fishy... except maybe me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We don't eat a lot of fish either, but maybe I'll get brave and make them sometime. I've had them at mom's before and they were really yummy. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish that I could transport you through mom's blog to our house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh delish! will make these this week, to be sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Flori, I made the tomatillo dressing for fish tacos, and we all loved it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete