Saturday, February 19, 2011

Day 19 :Who loves you?


I echo what Jim and others said about nap time. I scanned this image last week thinking it would be cool to talk about it so I am glad you did. I think like the breakfast in bed each of the children should load some pictures of them during a nap.


As children a reccurring series of questions would be asked of us. They went like this:

Mom/Dad: Who loves you?
Child: You do.
Mom/Dad: Why do I love you?
Child: Because I am special.


This daily affirmation instilled in all of us a feeling of truly being special to each of our parents. Mom, you have always told me that I was your special boy. Looking through all of my pictures brought back so many great memories of spending time with you. Whether it was watching a sad movie and holding your hand while we cried, or me crying because I didn't want you to tell me how to "down-berry, up-berry" properly. I have always loved to be with you and I am so grateful for all you have done for me and my family. Thank you for making us all feel loved and special in our own way. When I tell people that there are eight kids in our family the always say things like, "Wow I bet you didn't really get very much attention since your parents had to divide their time between so many children." I think you and dad did a great job of taking time for each of us and always making us feel important and special. I love you because you are special to me.

Thomas


2 comments:

  1. I can't remember where "Who do I love? came from, but I know the first time I heard it I wanted it to become a regular part of raising my kids. I do love each of you because you are special. I also loved it when Aunt Cathy told me she said to her kids, "Of all the (fill in the name) in all of the world, I love you best of all." She said they don't hear of all, but only their name and they feel the most loved person she knows. Last night at the Carl Block museum, I was looking on the portrait he did of his mother and father. He is such a master of light and the light shining on his mother made me think of this blog and the wonderful tribute you pay me as one of the lights in your life. Athelia has been reading this blog and said, "I hope you feel validated by this because it is a wonderful tribute" and I couldn't agree more. Thank you for taking the time to give me one of the most wonderful gifts of my life. "Who loves me?" "You all do" "Why do you love me?" "Because I am special." All my love, Mama

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I just say I am so digging those curls Ruth Ann! And you look so little and cozy next sleeping Tommy in his bed. Glad I'm not the only mom who lays by my kids in their small twin beds :)

    ReplyDelete