Friday, February 25, 2011

Day 25: Mama Ruthie becomes the Nanny


I am happy and proud that Maddie's birthday today also marks 14 years since our mom became a grandmother! 14 years of being the beloved Nanny! Since Maddie was almost 10 days overdue, it was an anxious time for everyone and mom and dad would call me every day to check on me. I promised over and over again that I would let them know the moment we headed to the hospital. When I finally called to tell them we were on our way, I remember how excited mom was and wanted to rush right down to the hospital too. Kay and Cecile headed down from Idaho and they, along with mom and dad, spent a long night in the hospital waiting room, all of them waiting for the baby who would send them each into the realm of grandparenting.


Madeline Ruth (I'm so happy she has the name Ruth!) changed all of our lives forever. It has been humbling to me as I grow in motherhood to continually recognize and discover the many ways in which a mother sacrifices for her children. I have wondered at our mother's reserves of patience and kindness, and am so grateful for the example of love she set in our home. I have loved watching Mom grow in her role as a grandmother and know that she cherishes that role as well as her mothering role.

Many people have mentioned Mom's talent for making others feel special. She also has a talent for quilting and our family has many "special blankies" made by Nanny. Maddie is getting pretty old these days, but she still loves her blankie and enjoys her status as the first grandchild on both sides.

4 comments:

  1. The day Maddie was born was important for me, too, for it was that day that launched me into unclehood. I remember that day very clearly. I had a fresh new bowlcut, a striped shirt, overalls, Sorrels, and I only looked partially Chinese. As I consumed an ample portion of Top Ramen with no broth, I felt proud knowing that I was an 11-year-old uncle. "This is great," I thought. "I didn't even have to do anything."

    P.S. It is possible that my bowlcut was indeed the SFLB (pronounced schvil-bee, meaning short in front, long in back), which is essentially a bowlcut tilted on its axis so as to promote business in front, party in the back, albeit less dramatically so than the mullet. More likely, however, my hair was recovering from its second perm, compliments of Aunt Genie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy belated b-day Maddie! I remember holding you in my arms in the basement of Nanny 1.0's house while I was attending BYU (how that 14 years ago? I'm STILL in school!)

    You were so cute and cuddly. You've grown into such a smart, talented, beautiful girl and you continue to be such a great influence on all of the cousins. Hope you had a special day and we can't wait to see you guys again.

    Johnny

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I am glad that I have an Asian uncle. That i s SOOO cool!!

    hey mom, can I get a perm?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The night Maddie was born was a wonderful beginning. I can't believe that Kay and Cecile hopped in the car and headed down to Provo. It was so great to be with them all through the night, and then we went to Breakfast together to celebrate and didn't even need to wear tags marking us as new Grandparents. We were going up to people shaking them by the lapels to tell them how beautiful our new little baby girl was and still is, I might add. I love each of the "in-law" parents of all of our kids. I learn so much from them and am still trying to get Luci's Mom here so I can make another best friend. Maddie has a big road of being a great example ahead of her since she is the model for all of the grandchildren who follow on not just one side, but both sides of the family! I can't think of anyone better than Maddie to fill that role. Way to go, Miss 14!

    ReplyDelete