Monday, February 14, 2011

Day 14: Happy Valentine's Day



As I mentioned in a letter to you all at Christmas, I put this quote on our wedding invitation: "The deepest law of the spirit is that men become like that they love." - Byron

Mom and I are in the Salt Lake Temple today. It is the perfect expression of love to participate in the temple ordinances of the Savior – who loves us the most. He said, "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends." (John 15:13)

Mother and I were called last week as assistant shift coordinators on Mondays. We start that assignment today. When the new shift coordinator saw Mom greeting the women in the temple, how musical and wonderful she was, she knew that she needed Mom as one of her assistants.

One of the dumb apprehensions I had in marrying Mom was that she didn’t play the piano, sing in parts, etc. I quickly decided that the "rest of the package" was so wonderful that it wasn’t that important to me. In looking back, I see how musical Ruth Ann really is. I see it in her life. She is the most musical phone answerer I have ever heard and I love to hear her singing hymns next to me in church. She probably just thinks that I am moved by the lyrics when I stop singing – but it is mostly just to listen to her.

There was love all around
But I never heard it singing
No, I never heard it at all
Till there was you.
-from The Music Man, by Meredith Wilson


 
Happy Valentine’s Day, Ruth Ann

Love, Neil, Neil, Neil!

7 comments:

  1. Sweet post dad. Good luck with your new gig today. Joseph, way to ruin the post with the ugly photoshop work :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't kill the airbrusher. Dad requested that, without any prompting from me. I guess I come by it honestly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gracie saw me pull up the post and said, "Mom, why does grandpa look like Nanny?".STOP CONFUSING THE GRANDCHILDREN. ha ha. Thanks for sharing. I'll be singing that song all day long. :) Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, I need to somehow incorporate a picture of me and mom with ogre skin tones in my next post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That would be a little ogre-kill if you ask me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh the joys of photoshop! Love the fun we can create with Joseph's trade school skills.

    Babe--you've never done this to a picture of us...maybe it's time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I should have done the ogre tones on this photo Bob. Then we could call the post "Troll love."

    ReplyDelete