Friday, February 4, 2011

Day 4: Food and Fabric

Before I ever met Ruth Ann, I had met her food.  Her cooking was the stuff of legend among Tom’s friends and my first taste, Walnut Toffee Bars ,  did not disappoint!  Since then, I have tasted too many wonderful things to count.  I have also, unfortunately, abandoned some of my strict healthy habits and learned that EVERYTHING is better with butter.  I am constantly inspired by her love of and ability to cook.  Although my cooking will never compare, I’m grateful that I have had the opportunity to pick up some tricks of the trade and at times cook alongside her.   I am also grateful that her love of cooking was passed on to her son,  who has definitely followed in her footsteps.

Ruth Ann likes to push me to try new things.  I never wanted to sew.  I was a scrapbooker by trade and didn’t feel comfortable venturing into the realm of sewing.  She continued to insist that I try sewing so finally I gave in. I didn’t even bring fabric on our St. George craft retreat because I didn’t intend on sewing, but everything changed that trip.  I learned that I love to sew!  It is such a great creative outlet for me and I never would have known that or even tried it if it hadn’t been for Ruth Ann.  I am so grateful to her for helping me discover sewing (not to mention constantly giving me fabric, patterns, and supplies to supplement it). 

Thank You Ruth Ann, for constantly inspiring me and motivating me to try new things!  I am forever grateful to have you in my life!  

5 comments:

  1. Wow! Doesn't that trip seem like forever ago? Porter was just a baby (did you ever make the overalls?) Jack is probably too big now, so I guess you need another boy! We need another girl's retreat like that. I am continually impressed with your great talents. The scripture tote project you designed and made for each of the young women was a total project of love. I love how you always think big-- the only difference between us is that you finish the big ideas and I have the remains of mine still in my to be finished drawer. Love you, Jess

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did I not know Jess didn't bring fabric on that trip? And yet she sewed away like a pro! I hereby vote that we need that girls'/crafting/sewing retreat to be more of a traditional thing...like every other year...so we are way overdue! Let's try to get one on the calendar in the next year or so ok?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've actually been thinking about that trip for the last month and wishing I could be sewing with all of you. *sigh* Hopefully next year, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. ahhh me too. I want another girls trip. What about this summer? July anyone?

    ReplyDelete