Saturday, February 26, 2011

Day 26: Best of Friends

My dear, dear friend Ruth Ann,


I look out the window at snow that is piled up almost to my height. When the weather is - 20 or so, I feel the cold biting at my face every time venture outside. Even in bad weather, we could walk inside. If I could, I would even walk outside with you now. Because the walking was never as important as the talking. We talked about EVERYTHING, although our children were always certain we mainly discussed them.


You are such a calming influence. I recall at a wedding, maybe John and Ashley's, someone was getting extremely upset. Instead of joining the fray, you simply told those who could have been offended not to take things too seriously because "she is just being a little hypervigilent right now." I observed how your framing the problem in terms of someone with needs and weaknesses defused anger.


Maybe your calm acceptance of life's frustrations makes me (and probably many others) "dump" on you. Thank you for listening to my soul's many complaints during the frequent times I feel stressed. What a comfort to know that I can reveal my perceived faults and that you will still love and accept me despite them as well as the faults you see, but don't criticize me for.


In addition to the way I feel happy in your presence, my family and I have benefited from your homemaking gifts. Thank you for giving me food and recipes and cooking advice. Thank you for catering my children's weddings and other events. Thank you for sewing your unique gifts for me and my family.


Of course we are not the only ones you envelop in your big embrace. You invite the socially needy and new people in the ward to your cabin. You rush to take care of your children's needs. You give sustained and tender attention to first your father and now your mother as well as your extended family on both sides. You consistently serve in the temple. You are a happiness facilitator for so many of us, on both sides of the veil.


So, if we could walk together, even in the cold, I would. But while we won't be walking friends for awhile, I continue to be blessed by your intelligence, your profound gospel insights, and your love and demonstrated compassion for your family and friends, including me. Thank you.


Love, Athelia

1 comment:

  1. When we moved to the Holladay House, I was pretty wrung out and fragile emotionally after all that went on with Nanny and Jason Healy and making another move to the unknown. Athelia was one of the first women to introduce herself and go out of her way to include me and make me feel at home. How can I begin to thank such an awesome example? Our time in Holladay was a really nurturing time to my spirit. It was the hardest place I have ever had to leave. Athelia, you can't begin to imagine how much good you did me as a "walking therapist" I still haven't found even a close replacement, so I guess we'll have to start walking again when you come home. The Holladay era was a wonderful time for our younger children too. We really grew as a family during this time and Ken and Athelia were a huge influence on all us. Athelia, thank you for being my truest, most beloved friend. Ruth Ann


    0

    ReplyDelete