Thursday, April 7, 2011

Day 66: An Overall Good Dad

If you want to understand a man,
try walking a mile in his pants.






I don't remember when it was we discovered dad's overalls. I DO remember that they were the most comfortable and coolest things ever. The cotton was worn so soft and I think I wore these for days at a time during Junior High. It wasn't just me who loved them either - I'm pretty sure we all had a good run in these (no pun intended - at least i hope not!)



I personally wore these overalls to school, to girls camp, disco skating, school dances and at the cabin. I remember when I discovered the Dickie's store and saw that they carried the striped overalls, too. Dad had told us that he used to have a pair like this and we convinced him to buy another. I told him to think really hard which size he bought of the original pair (the tag had worn blank) because I wanted the fit to be exactly the same. I was so excited when they arrived, and then a little disappointed because they didn't have the same feel as his 30 year old broken in pair.

Lesson to be learned: if you want a destroyed feel to your clothes, have dad wear them first. :)



This is a funny blurb I found on overalls (from The Puritan: 1901)

Little Girls and Overalls:


"The overalls are the symbol of good sense. The first woman who clad her little girl in their denim lengths was a great reformer and deserves to have her statue (not clad in overalls) erected in some conspicuous public place. ...
The benefit of the overalls is far reaching.

First, to the father's purse; denim overalls are both cheaper and more durable than muslin or even gingham dresses.

Next, to the mother who makes the dresses, or even superintends their making.

Third, they are a great saving in the work of the laundry.

Fourth, a child who is appropriately dressed for play gets much more good out of it.

Fifth, her clothes promote courage rather than hinder it....

Sixth, it saves friction between mother and child; the vexed subject of keeping clean is no more.

(But I was forgetting to speak of the mending saved, for copper rivets do not need occasional stitches.)"

Dad, your overalls speak to your "good sense", your playfulness, your industry. They also speak to mom's good sense in putting you in something virtually indestructible.

From all of us to you, DAD - thanks for passing on the good "jeans" :)

3 comments:

  1. I love the pics of the kids wearing Neil's overalls. My hubby was such a total skinny pants! Or is it just the baggy overalls making him look like a beanpole? And Tommy's trucker pic...so ugly, so awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very original and clever, Mary! I'd also like to give a shout out to the gray one-piece union suit that made its own tour through our wardrobes. That button-up bum flap was the best!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. flori-that is too funny! i almost mentioned those in the post, but thought I should stick to the overalls. I remember wearing those onesie thermals with a white t-shirt and boxers over it and then my hiking boots. quite the fashion statement, i'm sure.

    ReplyDelete