Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Day 72: Cabin Fever




Everyone should have a laughing place. Mine is the Sundance cabin. Whenever I am there, I feel calm and happy. So many memories and every one of them makes me glad. Thank you, Dad, for helping Grandpa build the cabin. Thank you for taking us there on so many weekends. Thank you for letting us bring our friends, for providing food and entertainment. Thank you for teaching us how to work and build, how to whistle with the snake grass and how to sit quietly by the stream.

I remember tearing up leftover pancakes and setting them out for the squirrels, laughing late at night, and throwing sleeping bags down the top hill. I remember relaxed dinners on the deck with cousins, aunts and uncles, grandparents, family friends, roommates, young married friends and now with my siblings and nieces and nephews and friends and their children. The cabin is a timeless place to me and sometimes when I am there, I can still feel the little girl inside of me, laughing.


2 comments:

  1. Loved this post, Flori. It brought back so many happy family memories of my own. We have all moved multiple times, but the cabin has a timeless continuity to it. It never seems to change much, and it's forever beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going through all the posts and saw the cabin picture, I just couldn't resist.
    Grandpa is one of my most favorite people in the whole wide world!!!! One of my absolute favorite memories of grandpa is when all the older grandkids were at the cabin. He gathered us around and told us to follow him, by the trunk of the car there was a bunch of baby pine trees. He showed us the tree that he had planted in his childhood, I remember how it seemed to tower over everything, and was amazed. With some childhood memories and a small kind hearted lecture he gave us a tree and said remember where you put it. I'll never forget how loved I felt that day and how lucky I was.(not cause I got a tree but that helped)

    ReplyDelete