Friday, April 1, 2011

Day 60: Only a mother could love...

To the left: A face anyone could love.

There is a saying about naughty kids or ugly faces they are things "only a mother could love." It's easy to love a child when they are obedient, clean, reverent, or the like. But what about when your child is yelling at you, hurting another child, or staring at you while they do something naughty, daring you to stop them?

In the last 60 days of this blog, we've heard some great stories of naughty kids and posted plenty of ugly pictures. So this final post for mom is a tribute to her for loving all of us in a way that only a mother could love.

We love you mom! Here's my photo journal of a few things only a mother could love:

Only a mother could love...
8 kids in matching striped neon outfits (from our trip to Orlando)

Only a mother could love...
kids covered in mud

Only a mother could love...
her rail thin child dressed as a flasher

Only an almost mother could love...
popping someone else's zits

Only a mother could love...
sons who are so hooked on card games that they play them in the streets.
Also sons who wear tank tops of wife beaters and black high tops with tall socks

Only a mother could love...
a son shamelessly opening presents with his wee underwear showing. Carrie absolutely loves this one.

Only a mother could love...
a daughter with the gall to wear purple stirrup pants

Only a mother could love...
a SFLB haircut, or a man perm, or a platinum dye. You know who you are.

Anyone could love this.


Only a mother could love...
this crazy girl rockin a belly shirt like it's hot.

This one is just for Maddie. An early birthday present.


Mom, just because we love you doesn't mean you get off easy. Only a mother could love these shorts...

If anyone else has pictures they would like to post, let me know and I'd be happy to add them to this post.

Mom, thank you again for being so supportive of all of us over the years. It's been so much fun to read the posts here and write tributes to your goodness and kind ways. We love you!

12 comments:

  1. We did it! 60 days! Joe, you beat me to it, but your post was much better than mine. Dad, don't worry. If we don't have enough good things to write about you, we still have plenty more to write about mom.

    Joseph, thank you for the trip down memory lane and for documenting Tom's fanny pack and Jim's mullet for posterity. Only a mother could love when there's nothing more to love.

    And only a grandmother could love another California baby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait, is that an announcement?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Joseph, I seriously love you. This post made me laugh so hard. I was actually going to write a post about that blue dress, but I couldn't find the picture. It was my favorite thing mom ever made for me. (And I love the sthweet retainer.) I've never seen the Orlando picture either. Just pure dirty goodness everywhere you look. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why is Rob standing between John and James in the picture of Johnny's flasher costume at Symphony Hall.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joseph,
    I can't believe it! I have looked at that picture of you at the top hundreds of times, but when I saw it first thing today, I realized Olivia is a total Joseph and has the same sweet look as you did. Notice did! Let's just hope she doesn't wear wife beaters when she is 10! Also, Bob, love the ugly mustache and wicked pirate sneer. Can Porter borrow that costume for his captain Hook? A heartfelt thanks to all of you for such a wonderful 60 days--it has made the 60 years a meaningful and worthwhile endeavor. I'm glad you all have wonderful children who are better than you and you are than I. Can't wait to hear about Dad!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha Flori. Loved the sthweet comment. That is the perfect word for retainers. I looked for a picture of you doing "Wa-burge", but then I realized everyone loves that - not just mom.

    Props to Carrie for going through 10 old albums and finding many of these pictures. The funny thing is, the first round was almost all pictures of me. Turns out she thinks pictures of me in tank tops are way dirty... and I was in tank tops for the majority of my youth. She also got a huge kick out of every picture from our Berlin trip, because Jim is 2 feet taller than me, but just 2 years older.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow. The LeBaron uncles have officially violated mormon modesty rules... and my eyes. The mullet is sick, but so is bieber hair. Or will be in 20 years. My braces look way cooler than my mom's :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. (Rob) Hey, Bob, that's awesome. I lost those glasses and that girlfriend at symphony hall that night. I don't care much about Thelma-Renae anymore, but has anyone seen my glasses? They're about the size of Peterbuilt windshields.

    Flo is so busted on the zit pic; she still makes that face.

    ReplyDelete
  9. classic! for the record, i think for the entire year of 1986, i had my shirt pulled up to show my belly. i don't think that will happen again. seth is only person i'm allowed to frighten with a bare belly. yiiiiiikes!

    @johnny - happy april fools, right?
    @flori - you totally nailed retainer speak. nice work

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am laughing way too hard at these photos and i'm not even in the fam!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mom, Bob's not wearing a mustache...it's a dead gerbil. Very confident I wasn't wearing anything under those boxers, interesting to note that James is dressed as a flasher, though, thankfully, the coat is closed as to not overexpose the photo (no pun intended).

    Kudos to Maggie for staying in character during the photo,

    Rob, I regret to inform you that your Peterbilt glasses were lost at the hands (cheeks) of Neil in the gold truck ca. 1997. However, your matching pink, wool-collared jackets are in Nanny and Grandpa's closet. Janet Jackson returned them after using them in her "What Have You Done for Me Lately?" music video.

    P.S. I know it's hard to notice anything beyond Joe's biznass in the indecent Christmas morning photo, but, I LOVED those flame skateboards....easily a top 5 best Christmas presents ever.

    P.P.S. Tank tops rule.

    ReplyDelete
  12. John. Classic observations. You win for noticing the pink coats. Here are some other favorite details from these photos:

    1. Orlando: Why are mary and I sticking our tongues out? Why is Maggie standing far away? By her face expression, she might be letting loose. Love that Bob is flashing the peace sign. How did he even know it at that age?

    2. Mud: I have at least 4 pictures like this from different ages, different lakes. I remember smelling like sulphur after this one... no, because of the mud.

    3. Flashers: You can catch a glimpse of the overexposure John mentioned if you look at James's shin/sock?

    4. Zit popper: I bet Flori is so excited that her girls are getting zits now, so this medieval torture can resume.

    5. Mexico cards: I'm a little relieved for posterity that we are playing with face cards, not Magic: The Gathering. Cause who would ever play that?

    6. Christmas: We got some classics that year. Notice the scented markers on the ground behind me? The hallucinations those produced got me through most of 4th grade. In the far left background are those rollerskates you can strap onto any shoes. Are those the rollerskates Elisa rode off the balcony?

    7. Maggie pants: Nanny wore these pants all the time after Maggie grew out of them. Anyone know what happened to that antique basket trap n the right in that picture? Used to love loading it up with toys.

    8. Capt'n Crusty: though you can't see Jim's hand in this pic, I like to imagine what he's holding that we've obviously interrupted.

    9. Belly shirt: Notice how I'm classing it up in the background with that bolo tie? They are appropriate with any outfit. Just like pink jackets.

    'Nuff said.

    ReplyDelete