Sunday, April 24, 2011

Day 83: Necessity






It is said that necessity is the mother of all invention. Such necessity has produced many of the worlds ill fated automobiles. What man would not love to have his own truck to haul around tools and building materials for various projects, but is forced to opt for a more practical passenger vehicle? Such conundrums have produced the likes of the disasters below, but I say that there is a better way.


One thing comes to mind when I think of how this relates to dad. A quote from one of my favorite TV personalities the one and only Tim Gunn in short, "Make it work!" To me this means taking whatever you have and make it work for you and create something fantastic.

Dad is no different than any other man and is also plauged with the question of how do I get something done and still have practical transportation for my family. From the early days of the 15 passenger to the Aerostar, Galant, Windstar, Corsica, Accord, Passport, and yes even the Nanny mobil, Dad has turned these cars into utility vehicles the likes of which auto manufactures never could have dreamed. I specifically remember being really upset about this during the construction of the Brighton cabin. Dad had recently leased the passport which was equipped with all of the bells and whistles and just a few short months later it was not uncommon to find the back loaded with miter saws, drills with long auger bits, 5-gallon buckets of messmers stain and linseed oil which would frequently tip over and spill all over the back. Nor was it uncommon to find bolts and screws strewn across the leather and shovels and pick-axes covered in mud and gravel laying on the seats. All of these things made me angry in my ignorance. I thought it almost blasphemous to treat a fine automobile as a work truck. Surely dad would bemoan his decisions and finally realize he needed a pickup truck to adequately get the job done.

Now that I am older and my truck has come and gone. I am also faced with the same questions. And just like dad I will not be lining up to purchase a subaru Baja or any other truck hybrid. I have chosen to follow my fathers example much to the chagrin of my future teenage sons and "make it work" The black honda is my go to vehicle for all projects and if you doubt its usefulness as such let me give you a quick run down of what is currently in the trunk and back seat of my car. I have a compound miter saw, air compressor, circular saw, 2 finish nail guns, 1 framing nail gun, jig saw, router, power planer, 2 cordless drills, orbital sander, sledge hammer, level, screwdrivers, chisels, hammers, nail sets, pry bars, stud finder, squares, tool belt, tool bags, and many other small hand tools like allen wrenches, crescent wrenches, and pliers to name a few. Come to think of it, I better go make sure my car is locked.
Dad I love your resourcefulness and your enthusiasm for conquering any job. I have loved helping you on so many different projects and remodels. You are the one that has given me the confidence to figure things which has led me to my love of building things and learning about all aspects of construction. I love you.

3 comments:

  1. Way to tie in Tim Gunn and the Subaru Baja. Well played, Tom. I like that dad isn't afraid of ruining shirts, glasses, phones or other things he carries in his pocket full of screws.

    When Bentley drew pen on the roof of the Cadillac my first reaction was to be upset, but I had to look at dad's example and remind myself... "they're just things".

    Thanks for teaching us not to be materialistic Dad. You have so many nice possessions, but it's easy to see that to you they are only things. Your love for your children and putting us first always reminds me of this scripture:

    Matthew 6:21 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great observations, Tom. I smiled reading about what Neil put in his cars, then smiled again reading about what you have in yours!! Most of what I remember Neil stuffing into his cars were LOTS of people, so he could take them fun places. And how well I remember the LONG night 16 of us spent in the 15-passenger van in a pouring rainstorm in Fargo, North Dakota (because all of the hotel rooms were already booked because of a Cattlemen's Convention). It's a fun memory now--just one part of all the happy memories of that marathon trip to Idaho, Wyoming (Yellowstone), Montana (remember John breaking his arm?), Alberta (where we picked up all the cousins as we went), Saskatchewan, Manitoba (for the family reunion at Oak Lake), then back across the northern USA. What an amazing trip! Thank you, Neil and Ruth Ann, for all the times you've traveled so far to be with the family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Classic post Tom. Too bad I stole half of your tools...then you'd have a real collection in your car. Two comments. 1) The El Camino you posted actually looks pretty sweet. 2) Tim Gunn rules. Each of Krista's subsequent reality shows has been a let down...particularly the "mid-project" evaluation by the judges. No can top Gunn. (oh yes I did).

    ReplyDelete