Thursday, April 28, 2011

Day 87: Rummy!

Some of my favorite memories of Dad involve games of Rummy. We've played Rummy everywhere from up in the mountains to sky high in airplanes. I enjoyed working at Extra Space for three summers and being able to come home for a quick bite to eat and a game of Rummy with Dad. He is the king of holding cards and going out all at once, which taught me that sometimes in games you have to be a risk taker if you want to catch people unawares and make everybody mad.

I remember one day in particular in high school when Mom and Dad grounded me for something silly like not having cleaned my room in four years, it's hard to remember. After hanging out with me for a little bit, they realized how awesome I am and decided that it would be a travesty if they didn't at least give me a chance to become ungrounded. We decided to wager my groundedness over a game of Rummy. We were seated at the Holladay Boulevard house at the long table in the family room just off of the kitchen. After two games, my victory was secured and I was officially ungrounded. I always wondered if they threw the game for me, but I'm thinking not, because Dad was looking at my cards through the reflection in the window until I realized it and closed the shutters (If he'll cheat at Sorry, what's next?).

It's funny, because being with friends seemed so important to me at the time, yet today I couldn't tell you who I was with or what we did that night. But I can still vividly remember spending time with Mom and Dad and that's what's important to me now.

When I think of playing card games my mind is also drawn to the many times I walked to Nanny and Charles' house from Rosecrest and played Rummy and War with the original Nanny. Nanny couldn't shuffle well, but she sure could play a mean game of cards...ton (sorey, I couldn't resist). I'm glad that Nanny taught Rummy to Dad so he could teach it to all of us. If that's even how it happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment