Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Day 86: Closer to Fine


When I was 14 years old, we moved from our old house in Canyon Rim to the Holladay Blvd. house. I had just been elected as a cheerleader at Evergreen Junior High and mom and dad decided that I could still go to Evergreen. I promised to take the bus home each day, and we decided that it would be really slick.
Dad was still commuting to the old house to work at his office in a period of transition, and that meant that we had a special commute together each morning as he drove me to school in the green Ford Explorer. An Indigo Girls had found its eternal spot as first cd in the player and I swear that we listened to that cd every day that year. Because of that, I always think of driving with Dad when I hear the song, “Closer to Fine”.

Remember the bus pass I mentioned? Well, I didn’t either. I made some of the best friends that year and decided that it would actually be more convenient to hang out with my said friends and for Dad to pick me up on his way home at 5. In hindsight, I’m sure it was only more convenient for me, but that year really redeemed my junior high experience and I gained special friendships that I still cherish- not only with my friends, but with my dad.

I don’t remember much about what we talked about. I’m sure I was boy crazy, I’m sure it was dramatic, and I’m sure he wished that he could reach into my life and give me more perspective at times. I will always remember those times we spent each day, and I think it created a relationship and atmosphere where I knew I could talk to Dad about anything.

1 comment:

  1. Sweet pictures Maggie! Yesterday Bea asked me to sing "Animal Crackers in my Soup" and I was thinking about Anne Murray and how certain singers & songs remind me of Dad and special times with him.

    ReplyDelete