Thursday, March 31, 2011

Day 59: Sharing the good things in life

The LeBaron's at Justin and Maggie's wedding.
From Justin:

I’ve been feeling a little bit like the last person around the table to say something nice about the birthday person. One thing that I have noticed over the years, is that we often all love and admire the same things about people, and year after year, we continue to love all of those things.

The things I love about Ruth Ann are no exception. I agree with the other posts and it becomes difficult to bring up something new, when so many have expressed her strengths so well. That said, one of my favorite things about Ruth Ann is her ability to create special experiences and memories with people. She really works at having a personal relationship with people and takes good notes about what makes people feel special, and she notices what people like.

Hardly a trip to Salt Lake goes by without Ruth Ann sharing some German chocolate with me. I see Ruth Ann give to and make meaningful or special things for everyone and appreciate the extra time and energy that it must take. Here’s to Root Beer, Nutella, Ritter sport, Marty Robbins, and to a mother who finds many ways to show us all that she cares.

3 comments:

  1. Justin and I have had this conversation about mom's ability to create special experiences,and I agree. It is always apparent in her gift giving, but also manifested itself in ways like special dates with mom and dad, alligator suits,special celebration of birthdays and holidays (gingerbread houses,cookies,Easter traditions),and letting us have pets.

    One example of this is the special bags that Nanny made for all of us (or maybe just the younger kids) whenever we went on trips when we were little. I will never forget pulling out coloring books on the way to Canada in the 15 passenger van or getting a special Hawaiian Barbie with Mary on the plane to Hawaii. (Which Mary may have tricked me into trading later on. TJK-it was a different favorite Barbie:)

    I think the "experiences" we create are what stand out in the end, and we can see from the long list of posts, that this is something that mom does continually.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said, both of you. I am always amazed at how mom remembers everyone's special favorites. I was pining for Cadbury mini eggs and what should I find in my birthday package, but the very thing I was wishing for! I can barely remember my 4 kids favorite things, so I'm really impressed that she can keep such good mental notes on what makes people feel loved. Thanks mom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Justin,
    You'll be happy to know that I just rescued a couple of James Herriot books and cool calendar for you from my Mom's. I don't think of myself as that good at presents. Unlike Tommy who is one of the best gift givers I know!

    ReplyDelete