Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Day 43: Loving Leader

Girls Camp, July 1998


**Guest post from Heidi (Smith) Allen pictured on the far right in the middle row. And Ruth Ann is hard to spot but she's in the top left corner behind Barbara Homer...

My family moving to Holladay was a traumatic experience for me. The thirteen year old me was self-conscious, taller than most boys my age, and a definite brace face. It was not an ideal time in my life- trying to make a whole new batch of friends at the height of my awkwardness. Soon after moving into Holladay 4th Ward, another new family moved in as well, the LeBarons. And not long after that Ruth Ann became one of my Young Women leaders. I distinctly remember her as being a source of friendliness, comfort and guidance during that difficult time in my life, and beyond, because I am fairly certain she remained in Young Womens with me until I graduated, first as an advisor and later as President. I can't think of a girls camp (or any YW activity for that matter) that didn't include her fun humor and fabulous cooking. Ruth Ann was/is a wonderful example to me of someone who really seemed to embrace and enjoy being a homemaker, and I'm positive her influence remains with me still. And how fun that I am sort of related to her too. When Joe and Carrie became engaged, I remember thinking my sis had definitely scored in the mother-in-law department. Happy 60th Ruth Ann!

Heidi {Smith} Allen

2 comments:

  1. I love this picture and all the familiar (young!) faces. I still think you should have posted a pic from the awkward years though (but I know you threw them all away ;)

    And you're right Heid--I did luck out in the mother-in-law department.

    ReplyDelete