Friday, March 25, 2011

Day 53: Ode to Ruth Ann, Placator of Procastinators

When I ran for Student Body President of Olympus Jr. High, I was the ultimate doofus. I begged Joseph to make my posters and attached a feigned promise of $20 payable as incentive. Since it was the morning election posters were due, Joseph reluctantly, but kindly agreed. Instead of helping I just watched and critiqued, like kids with pooka shells and no trade school training are so apt to do. Joseph made "Bob, Australian for President." into a reality.

After making it past primary elections, I had to write a skit, in which I had decided I would play Steve Irwin and wrestle a crocodile. The only thing is, I had no crocodile suit, as I had given away my crocodile pajama onesie the week before. "No problem," I thought. "My family is just dying to drop everything and help me with this. Mom can sew anything, just like Joe can draw anything." I told Mom what I needed and she sewed all day to make me this crocodile costume (as worn by Tyler Walker years later on a trip to Albertson's to purchase Gatorade).


Unbeknownst to me at the time, the day Mom spent sewing my costume was her anniversary. She probably would have sewed it on another day, but I didn't give her the choice. I told her the day before the assembly. She put my special day before her own and helped me to secure a victory that saved me from a life of Funyuns, no friends, and playing Starcraft all day. This is just one example of Mom's selfless attitude, of putting others first and wanting others to be happy. Thanks for helping such a selfish teenager, Mom. And thanks for not sewing a sting ray costume. Ahhh, too soon?

1 comment:

  1. Where is that costume now? I mean really, Bob. The girls all saved every prom dress whether I made it or not and when Tom really needed the crocodile to appease Captain Hook (aka Porter) it was no where to be found. If you loaned it to a friend like Maggie did "the Fugitive" I'll be really mad(aka pissed) but of course, I never say that. I have to admit that I secretly loved it when you made impossible requests since it really spurred on the competitor in me although I don't remember crying when I finished the costume! Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete