Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Day 50: Jackalope

                                              
One funny memory of mom is from several years back involving the mythical Jackalope. It went a little something like this.

Mom: Oh give me a home where the buffalo roam, where the deer and the jackalope play...
Children: wait, what was that last part?
Mom: the deer and the jackalope.
Children: Those aren't the right words.
Mom: Yes they are.
Children: Why would they write a song about a fictitious animal?
Mom: Jackalopes are real.
Children: Seriously? Jackalopes are just made up.
Mom: No, they are real. I have seen stuffed ones in gas stations in Wyoming and on post cards.
Children: Mom, they just take a jack rabbit and put some little deer horns on them. Jackalopes are just folklore.

At this time everything started to unfold in her mind, a look came over her face like everything she had known was a lie. A little piece of Ruthies innocence gone. I share this story not because I think of mom as ignorant or gullible. Mom your innocence is one of your greatest attributes. I have always admired your ability to keep yourself unspotted from the world. You are truly an example to all of us on how to live in the world but not be of the world. I love you mom.

5 comments:

  1. Of the many things I loved (and hate) about this post, here are a few:

    1) The pictures...did you find these in a coffee table book? Timeless
    2) That it says "posted by Jess" at the bottom (as do all Tom's posts) just makes me giggle thinking of Jess writing this
    3) That the lady with the jackelope reins looks like a hybrid of Athelia and Ruth Ann
    4) That it's written like a screenplay (how Thespian of you)
    5) That this post might be for more for the siblings than for Mom...but that's okay...it's for posterity.

    Good show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful idea Lebaron family. I actually got a little terry eyed when I started reading these posts about your mother. It has been so long since I have seen all of you guys, but those memories I have of our times together will never be forgotten. Sis Lebaron (which I always called you because I had so much respect for you I never felt I could call you by your first name) You are one of the most beautiful women I have ever meet on the inside and out. I am now balling as I write this because you will probably never realize what an incredible impact you and your family had on mine. All of those summers spent, swimming at Lagoon, playing scum for hours into the night, going to the cabin. It not only formed an everlasting friendship between our families but helped our family build a bond that got us through some really hard times. It does not surprise me through reading this blog, the impact you had on so many others. I don't want to make this comment to crazy long, but I just really wanted to let you know Ruth Ann (Sis Lebaron) the incredible impact you had on our family. Just in closing I wanted to say that my absolute favorite thing about you was (is) that you always had (have) a smile on your face. I can not remember a moment when you were mad, angry, or upset. No matter what the circumstances there was always that beautiful smile there. So thank you for being the marvelous women you are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha! good call on the athelia/ruth ann hybrid. when i first logged on to read the blog I actually thought it WAS a picture of mom - riding her first jackalope. :) nice work

    ReplyDelete
  4. wait, whoa I thought jackalopes were really real...

    ReplyDelete
  5. the jackalope strikes again, maddie. "ruths" must be more susceptible to their ruse. :)

    ReplyDelete