Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Day 29: The Perfect Sister


When I was a sophomore at Olympus High School, I didn't have a lot of friends in the new school. There was no one to eat lunch with when the school year started. Ruth let me eat with her and her friends. I'm sure that as a Senior, it was not cool to have your little sister eat with you, but she invited me to be with her. I did eat lunch with her and her "cool" friends every day until I developed my own friends and met with them at lunch. I always appreciated her being so thoughtful of me and my feelings, and sacrificing her status to let a lowly sophomore eat lunch with her every day.

When Ruth had her own car, the yellow '50 Chevy, she would take me along with her on her rides to whatever. She was always good to let me tag along on the fun things she would do. In many ways she was my best friend while I was growing up and in many ways she still is.

We always shared a room growing up until Ruth went to BYU. I had a room to myself for the first time for the two years that separated us. When we were little, I would always have cold feet at bed time. Ruth hated my cold feet and would not let me warm them on her warm ones. She told me there was a huge knife that was at the center of the bed and if I put my feet on her side, the blade would come down and cut my feet off. I tried not to touch her, but I would inch my feet as close to the warmth of her body as I could without actually touching her.

Ruth was and always has been the 'perfect' sister. She still takes care of me and lets me warm my spirit by getting as close to her spirit as I can. She is always so generous with everything that she has to share me and everyone that she meets. She is truly a Christ like person in every way. I think that Heavenly Father uses her for his hands here on earth every day of her life. What a consummate trust He has in her and she honors it in all she does.

Love,

Mary Mahoney

8 comments:

  1. Mary! i think ALL little sisters have FREEZING toes. Maggie always did the same thing to me! I wish I would have known about the "knife in the middle of bed" tactic. That would have solved a lot of problems, I think! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maggie had her own knife to worry about. It was the razor sharp exposed edge of the heater vent she kept rolling onto in the middle of the night.

    Mom, I can't believe that knife story. Mary toes would have been even colder if she were dead... think about that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome post. I have verily wished for such a bed knife many times with Krista. Though, she would only have 3 toes by now and would be forced to roll around on Heelys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Due in part to my polar bear nature, I'm always hot in bed. So I actually enjoy cold feet on my body. What I don't like is when my kids climb in my bed and stick their knees in my back. Is there a knife for that?

    ReplyDelete
  5. My parents always tell me I have Cadaver feet.... gross.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maddie, that's better than having a cadaver face. http://bit.ly/eKWsNR

    ReplyDelete
  7. If anyone else wants to try that out, it's free here: http://www.zombieme.com/free/

    ReplyDelete
  8. EWWWW! when my parents thought I was getting older, I didn't know I was maturing (I mean decomposing) that fast!!!

    ReplyDelete