Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Day 57: Book of Ruth



From Neil:

On April 19th, 1973, I married Ruth Ann in the Salt Lake Temple. Next month, we will celebrate our 38th anniversary. It is a sweet thing to work in that temple, with your mother, as an ordinance worker. On our wedding day, Ruth Ann quoted from memory these verses from the Book of Ruth. She has been true to the tender entreating of Ruth. She has followed me in my wanderings to California, Sandy, Canyon Rim, Holladay and Cottonwood Heights -- on forays into business, cabins, media trips, having and raising children, family vacations, church callings and other pursuits. Therefore, in all of the Old Testament, these words of Ruth are some of the most poignant to me.

Ruth 1:16-17
And Ruth said, Intreat me not to leave thee, or to return from fol­lowing after thee: for whither thou goest, I will go; and where thou lodgest, I will lodge : thy people shall be my people, and thy God my God.

Where thou diest, will I die, and there will I be buried: the LORD do so to me, and more also, if ought but death part thee and me.

2 comments:

  1. Loved this story! Those of us who knew you then could see that you were a great couple, and those of us who know you now can see you are still a great couple. Truly an example of how being "equally yoked" in our commitment to the gospel and to our marriages can bring lasting happiness to ourselves and others. We love you both!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's beautiful, Dad. You and mom have set such a wonderful example for us of solidarity in marriage and placing you priorities on keeping that union strong.

    ReplyDelete