Sunday, March 27, 2011

Day 55: The Benefit of the Doubt: The Invention of the Microwaveable Aluminum Tray

(Rob) When Maddie was just a wee little one and having her first language explosion, she'd chatter endlessly with funny baby sounds (gaga; dada, etc.).


Nanny, who never misses an opportunity to see the best or the brilliance in someone, used to go on and on about how Maddie just said "Lady Gaga" or "Father Dearest." Things like that.


One day, one of the aunts or uncles (lets say Johnny) had had enough. Maddie babbled something and Johnny said, "I think she just said microwaveable aluminum tray." While there was just a tinge of jealousy there because I think Johnny had only just learned how to say that in AP English, the point is a good one.


Nanny is a champion of her loved ones. She gives all around her the benefit of the doubt and she finds the best in everyone.


This trait was particularly sweet when Flori and I were dating and then newly married. There I was, with little idea of what I wanted to accomplish in life and how I was going to support her daughter without the assistance of Dad's Maverick Bucks. Nanny was there cheering me on all the same. She still does even though, when we told Maddie this story the other day Maddie said, "you can't microwave an aluminum tray."





4 comments:

  1. i think the most poignant part of this post is the mention of maverick bucks. oh the days of gasoline shopping sprees....thank you, rob, for such a sweet memory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rob, while my heart is incredibly warmed (no pun intended) to see you post on this blog, I'm going to have to side with Maddie on this. According to Tanya on Yahoo! Answers, microwaving aluminum not a good idea.

    In fact, last week, I had a similar experience as Haven_Summers (second post on said Yahoo! Answers posting) in which the upper rim of a Nutella jar nearly caused a nuclear meltdown at our house. The problem is, you really put the microwave's magnetron in jeopardy when you pull crazy maneuvers like this. Plus, you could really hurt someone's fillings...which might then hurt their feelings.

    Clearly, I was not the uncle who commended Maddie on this expression...it's simply not commendable. In fact, if I remember correctly, what she actually said that day was "Synthetic Collateralized Debt Obligation."; Which I plan on teaching Anders this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too bad we all can't live off of Lucky Bucks, those are even cooler than Maverick Bucks.

    John, I appreciate your link. It makes me realize how I take for granted those who lay their lives on the line for product testing.

    In case you're curious more research has been done <a href="Too bad we all can't live off of Lucky Bucks, those are even cooler than Maverick Bucks.

    John, I appreciate your link. It makes me realize how I take for granted those who lay their lives on the line for product testing.

    In case you're curious more research has been done here:

    http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/709307/10_things_that_are_fun_to_microwave.html?cat=24"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maddie, Just so you know, you were totally awesome at speaking and it is only because I have such a finely attuned ear to my grandchildren that I was able to understand your very mature musings. Porter is actually coming in a close second since he is the only 3 year old I know who can repeat the first 4 articles of faith in one breath. Way to go, Porter.

    ReplyDelete